Westrop Whole School curriculum
At Westrop we follow the National Curriculum (2014) through a bespoke thematic approach to teaching and learning. Our curriculum is mapped out step by step building on prior knowledge and understanding. This curriculum follows our children from Year One to Year Six. Our earliest learners also follow their own bespoke curriculum based of the Statutory requirements of the EYFS.
Our Curriculum is underpinned by our whole school Vision and Values and is personalised to reflect our unique school context and celebrate the needs of our school community. As a school, we understand our children and our families and we adopt a holistic approach, balancing both essential life and learning attributes with broad and balanced learning opportunities.
At Westrop, we have established five curriculum drivers for our school which are supported by our core values. These drivers ensure that everything we do at Westrop is underpinned by strong foundations, clear rationale and meets the needs of our children. Through this personalised approach, we know that we are supporting the needs of our local community within our school family.
How is the curriculum delivered?
- Our key drivers and values are interwoven throughout all subjects to ensure consistency in the implementation of our curriculum
- Our children are the heart of everything we do, whilst our senior and subject leaders map out a whole school overview, our curriculum is also tailored to the needs of our classes and the children within them
- Where possible learning is organised using a thematic approach allowing children to make connections with learning across subjects
- The curriculum starts with children’s prior knowledge, builds upon this knowledge and skills and ensures that progress can be measured
- Learning where possible is linked to real life experiences providing both a local and wider world context to learning
- Learning is enriched by visits, forest school, theme days and trips to enhance real life experiences and foster the love of learning. We know our children well and experiences are planned to fill gaps in life experiences and ensure a holistic view of learning
- The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of our children and their understanding of British Values are woven throughout our curriculum
- Our curriculum allows for the repetition of key skills and developing of knowledge therefore deepening children’s knowledge, understanding and skills
- Our curriculum is further enhanced by our Nurture provision- The Den which offers intervention space and groups
From their individual starting points, children will make at least good progress and achieve their potential academically, emotionally, socially and physically. Knowledge and skills are embedded and children attain high
Our children will have strong communication skills both verbally, emotionally and written. Our children will champion others and listen respectfully to others.
Our children will strive to be the very best version of themselves, they will show resilience and determination and take pride in all that they achieve
They will show emotional resilience and perseverance when faced with challenges. They will be confident in their own abilities
They will be kind, respectful and honest and display inclusive attitudes towards others. They will show integrity and have a sense of what their role is in wider society
Pupils will be ready for the next stage in their learning and life in the world outside of school.
To find out more about individual subjects at Westrop, please click on the curriculum tabs.
For details of our curriculum, please see the pages below.
- Design & Technology
- Modern Foregin Languages
- Personal, Social & Health Education
- Phonics & Spelling
- Physical Education
- Religious Education