Safeguarding is everybody's responsibility
Designated Safeguarding Lead - Cindy Acres, Headteacher
Deputy Safeguarding Lead - Jane Greening
Safeguarding Governor - Gemma Green
At Westrop we have a strong commitment to safeguard all of our children, ensuring their health, safety and well-being in all areas of our practice.
To this end we aim to:
- Ensure all our staff have a clear understanding of and commitment to their responsibilities towards children’s safeguarding.
- The school has clear procedures and key personnel in place to ensure safeguarding in all aspects of school life.
- The school specifically incorporates the teaching of health and keeping safe within the wider curriculum.
- The school audits its safeguarding practices on an annual basis to ensure we meet all statutory requirements and remain vigilant around all aspects of safeguarding.
The Difference Between Safeguarding and Child Protection
Safeguarding is what we do to keep all children safe from any kind of harm:
- Protecting them from abuse and maltreatment
- Preventing harm to their health and/or development
- Ensuring they grow up with the provision of safe and effective care
- Taking action to enable every child and young person has the best outcomes.
Child Protection is the support and protection put in place for the children most at risk of significant harm.
If you have a concern about a child being at risk of significant harm, please either contact the school DSL on 01793 762897 for support or Swindon MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) on 01793 466903.
Our Duty of Care
All staff at Westrop have a duty of care to report concerns when they arise. If a member of staff has a concern about a child they will report it to the DSL or D/DSL. Parents and carers will be informed of such concerns, unless to do so would increase the risk to the child. Concerns are shared with other safeguarding professionals as necessary.
All safeguarding information/concerns are kept on CPOMS (Child Protection Online Management System). When a child leaves Westrop for any reason, all of their safeguarding records are transferred securely to the following setting. NO Copies of written or electronic records are kept on file at Westrop once a child leaves us.
Useful Links for Parents and Carers
ThinkUKnow - a guide for parents and carers about online safety
Swindon MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub)
Safer Internet Centre - advice for parents and carers on what to do it your child sees something upsetting online