All children at Westrop have a minimum of 2 hours of PE and Sport per week.
The curriculum covers opportunities for a range of physical activity which includes:
Outdoor Adventurous Activities
Swimming (Years 3 – 6)
Our sports coach is in school 1 day a week and he works with each class in turn providing opportunities for alternative sports eg fencing.
During the year we provide additional experiences with ‘expert days’ such as ‘Skippy John’ who led fun skipping workshops and a Brazilian dancer who led the art of capoeira with each class. Swindon Shock also showed us how to play wheelchair basketball.
The Golden Mile
- The Golden Mile is a safe, simple and measurable health & physical activity initiative accessible to all pupils regardless of age or ability.
- We aim to inspire and encourage the school community through physical activity with the focus on fun, rewarding personal achievement.
- We reinforce the message from the Department of Health that children should engage in regular daily physical activity habits across the week, every week all year round.
- The Golden Mile is an ALL YEAR ROUND initiative whereby Pupils, Staff and parents can get involved. Simply walk, jog or run around your Golden Mile track within the safety of the school.
- The interactive School and class pages convert laps into Miles and display each pupil’s progress via graphs and league tables.
Multi Use Games Area
With the addition of our new Multi Use Games Area we have been able to extend provision at break-times to encourage team games in a safe environment.it is also an excellent place for inter house and inter school competitions.
We enter a range of competitions in Highworth and Swindon and have been successful in the South West cricket and rugby tournaments. Each year group takes part in a festival at the Highworth Rec alongside other Highworth schools as part of the Swindon Schools Sports Partnership. Area sports, a swimming gala and other sporting events take place across the school year. We are developing the amount of inter house competitions within Westrop which is a pupil request.
In year 4 children go away for 2 days and 1 night to Legge House in Wroughton working on team building activities. In Years 5 and 6 there is the opportunity for children to attend a PGL weekend where they can experience climbing, abseiling and water sports such as kayaking.